Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Let's Light this Candle


A few thoughts since hockey, motorsports, baseball and that postseason tournament Kobe mysteriously can't be eliminated out of, are in full swing...

If five of F1's biggest teams, such as Ferrari and Red Bull, leave because of the 2010 $40 million team cap, the sport will certainly suffer.

But it won't die.

There will still be McLaren, Williams and Brawn to carry the mantle, and the proposed all-American team based in my beloved Charlotte, NC would be wonderful. I'm keeping an eye on this situation, but remember: Ferrari is a big part of F1, but it is NOT F1.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., I don't know what happened that has made your season go down the toilet, well, wait, actually I've got several ideas, but I hope you can salvage it. You're a good guy and a good driver. Now tell yourself that before you go down pit road. You're a good guy and a good driver. Don't forget.

Brandon Tate is a New England Patriots wide receiver, and in my opinion a great understudy to Randy Moss. I really like Tate, and even though he's not been affiliated with the Super Bowl, think of the bowls of which he has been a part: his team just finished playing in a classic one for instance, which I was fortunate enough to see, the Meineke Car Care Bowl. And that's not counting the bowls he's lit up. Off the field.

I'll be going to Pats training camp one day this summer, and hope to see Tate there, doing well. I went to school with his brother, former Lenoir-Rhyne cornerback Barry Tate, also an NFL hopeful, and wrote a feature about him that you can read here.

I guess now would be a good time to point out that as soon as Cape Cod Baseball League action starts this year, the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox will be getting some writeups here, since I'll be covering their games. Hopefully they'll fare better than the other three teams for which I've covered a beat: The 2006 East Burke Cavaliers, four wins and God knows how many losses, American Legion Burke Post 21, who lost in the state quarterfinals, and the 2008 Single-A Hickory Crawdads, who finished last in the South Atlantic League before changing affiliates from the Pirates to the Rangers.

They were all glorious to talk to and entertaining to get to know, and here's hoping the Massachusetts charm (does that exist? Please exist!) does the team and myself well.

It didn't do anything for the Boston Bruins, who lost the Eastern Conference semifinals 4-3 to my Carolina Hurricanes. Boston fans, you can channel your hatred, and Carolina fans your love, to Scott Walker, who fought a Bruins player in game five and scored the game-winner in overtime in game seven to break Boston fans' hearts. (Do Boston fans have hearts anymore? Red Sox fans...heartless since October 2004. Just kidding, I wanted to inject some humor into the conversation. Again, America, I like the Sox. Don't get mad.)

Ok, sure the Canes lost game one of the East finals to Pittsburgh. It's fashionable to lose the first game. At least it is for Carolina in this year's playoffs.

My final take: So, Michael Vick, you want to get back in the NFL. And it sounds like a lot of the fence-straddling fans are thinking that they want you to play for their team.

If you're one of the fence-straddlers, first of all, you know what happens when you do that.

And second, before you go out and buy a Vick jersey on clearance, think of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment